Wow! You can use, and re-use, and re-re-use these canning lids many, many times. And they’re good for pressure canning, water bath, and vacuum sealing.
There are 12 regular lids and rings in a package. You’ll need to purchase metal screw bands separately.
We haven’t personally used these lids, so we asked Melissa Knight if she’d share her experience with us. Thanks Melissa!
by Melissa Knight
I have canned with the reusable Tattler Lids 6 or 7 times now, and I am very pleased with the results. They are very reliable, just as the metal lids that can be purchased in the store. I have canned meats and vegetables using these lids (see photos below), and out of the several times that I have used them I have only had one lid not seal properly. These lids and rings can be reused many, many times.
This is my personal list of pros and cons with using Tattler lids…
The lids can be reused multiple times. I have read on the Tattler site in the FAQ section that some Tattler lid owners have used the rubber rings for over 20 years.
The lids pay for themselves over time.
These lids are BPA free. (The metal lids commonly purchased in stores contain some BPA in the protective coating as well as the canned foods purchased in stores.)
The process of using them is not complicated.
There is no question whether the lids seal properly or not. If they don’t seal properly they come right off. If they don’t come off they are sealed.
The lids do not rust.
There’s no need to buy lids anymore.
You cannot write on the lids with a permanent marker like the metal lids. (I just write on the jars and wipe the writing with rubbing alcohol when I need to clean it off.)
There are a few more steps to take when using these lids, although very simple.
These lids require the use of metal bands that do not come with the Tattler lids.
The lids do cost more to buy, but they do pay themselves off over and over.
Giving jars as gifts with these lids can be costly if you don’t get the lids back. (I keep the metal lids on hand for gifts.) I have also seen where some people write poems and attach them to the canned jars with the Tattler lids. This is one that I got from one of my favorite blogs, Homestead Revival:
“These lids are reusable
And kindly for that reason,
Please return me to my home
If you want some more next season”
How to use:
(Copied from the Tattler site…)
- Inspect top of jar for cracks and nicks.
- Wash, rinse and sterilize jars. Scald lids and rubber rings. Leave in water until ready to use.
- Fill jars as indicated per canning instructions for that food type.
- Wipe top of jar after filling. Place lid and rubber ring combination on jar.
- Screw band on jar loosely. Center lid on jar and hold in place with finger while you finish tightening the metal band, THEN TURN BACK Product must be allowed to vent during processing
- Process as per instructions for various foods.
- TIGHTEN METAL BAND FIRMLY IMMEDIATELY UPON REMOVAL FROM CANNER.
- When jars have cooled, remove metal band and determine by feel if lids are securely sealed. Sealed jars may be stored without metal bands if desired.
- When removing lid gently insert table knife between rubber and jar to release seal — DO NOT USE SHARP KNIFE.
- Wash plastic lids and rubber rings, rinse, dry and store for future use. Do not save any rubber ring which is cut or deformed.
**JARS WITH NICKS OR CHIPS IN TOPS WILL NOT SEAL PROPERLY.
**APPROX. 1 INCH OF HEADSPACE SHOULD BE ALLOWED FOR SUFFICIENT VACUUM.
**USING A TOWEL OR SOMETHING SIMILAR WHILE TIGHTENING METAL BAND, AFTER PROCESSING, WILL HELP PREVENT ACCIDENTAL CONTACT WITH HOT CONTENTS SHOULD SOMETHING UNFORSEEN HAPPEN.
**LEAVE METAL BAND ON PROCESSED GOODS UNTIL CONTENTS COOL COMPLETELY.
**ALLOW PROCESSED GOODS TO COOL AT ROOM TEMPERATURE FOR 12-24 HOURS.
**IF YOU LEAVE METAL BANDS ON DURING STORAGE, STORE IN DRY AREA TO PREVENT RUST.
**”TATTLER” RUBBER RINGS CAN BE REUSED IF NO DAMAGE IS VISIBLE. WE SUGGEST THEY BE TURNED OVER EACH USE. PREVIOUS PLACEMENT WILL BE EVIDENT BY SEAL RING GROOVES LEFT BY LID.
**BE CAREFUL… WHEN REMOVING PROCESSED GOODS FROM COOKER, CONTENTS ARE SCALDING HOT—HANDLE WITH CARE.
**TATTLER LIDS ARE ESPECIALLY SUITED FOR USE WITH ACID FOODS (TOMATOES, PICKLES ETC.}
**”TATTLER” LIDS USED AND STORED PROPERLY WILL OFFER YOU MANY REPEATED USES.